Hammond Chamberlain picks one hell of a week to discuss the latest episode of Game of Thrones. Joel has finally started watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Swords, dwarves and spies, road warrior and reggae.
Episode No: 150
Episode Title: Valerian Steel (alt. The Wheels On The Bus)
Hosts & Guests
- Joel Duggan
- Hammond Chamberlain
Movies, TV & Video (Games)
Game of Thrones – Winter is Coming Season 5
|Episode 08 – Hardhome (wiki)
Cersei refuses to confess her sins. Qyburn informs her that Pycelle has sent for Kevan (Cersi’s Uncle) to serve as the King’s Hand, and that “the work continues”. Arya assumes the identity of Lana, an oyster seller. Jaqen tells her to learn everything about a man who takes wagers on whether or not ships arrive at their destinations, and then poison him. Olly asks Sam why Jon trusts the wildlings, to which Sam replies that he has no other choice; otherwise they don’t stand a chance against the army of the dead. Sansa asks Reek why he told Ramsay about her escape plans, and he says there is no escape. He then finally reveals that he faked the deaths of her younger brothers. Ramsay suggests to his father that they move on Stannis and asks for twenty good men. In Meereen, Tyrion convinces Daenerys to spare Jorah’s life and exile him again. Jorah instead goes back to Yezzan and asks permission to fight in the pits. Daenerys accepts Tyrion into her council. Arriving at Hardhome, Jon and Tormund manage to convince about five thousand wildlings to come back with them, showing them the dragonglass and offering them lands south of the Wall. Hardhome is suddenly attacked by an army of wights, and Jon and the other rangers help defend it. A White Walker attacks Jon, but is killed by Jon’s Valyrian steel-sword. As Jon, the other rangers and the wildlings sail away, they witness the Night’s King reanimating the deceased wildlings who rise from the dead as wights.
- Joel’s Notes:
- Jon & Tormond
- Holy shite!
- This is the most action we’ve seen all season.
- Early versions of whites (season 1) were slower, if I recal. These undead guys – who we saw a glimpse of last season when they attacked Bran – are fast. Scary fast.
- Less meat on their bones to weigh them down.
- The skeleton warriors looked great!
- Getting some real fantasy now.
- Giants, skeleton warriors, and creepy white children.
- I found the action a bit confusing, and it wasn’t clear when Jon killed the White Walker that he had his sword, Longclaw. I thought he had picked up a random sword from the ground.
- Longclaw, is Valyrian steel.
- Ned Stark’s sword Ice was Valyrian steel.
- Tywin Lannister commissioned Ice to be reforged into Widow’s Wail for Joffrey (The sword is now Tommen’s.) and a second sword for Jamie. Jamie, unable to use the sword himself, gives it to Brienne who names it Oathkeeper.
- One dimensional. One note. All the time. I. Don’t. Care. Please shut up. Shush. Mmmph! Zpt!
- We’re learning more about what Arya will be training to do.
- I might have Avengers on the brain, but she sort of reminds me of a mini-medieval Black Widow in training.
- She’s back to being a bit more aggressive, albeit with Reek/Theon.
- Now that she – and she may be the only one – has the information that Bran and Rickon are (as far as they know) alive, I wonder what she’s going to do with it?
- Daenerys & Tyrion
- It’s so rewarding to watch these two intelligent characters spar over a cup (or three) of wine.
- One of the best lines of this season…
“Lannister, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell, they’re all just spokes on a wheel. This one’s on top and that one’s on top and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground. We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” – Daenerys Targaryen
- Hammond’s Notes
- I was expecting a filler episode and the first ½ felt like it was going to be just that. Then John’s story made it interesting. It seems as if that happens often.
- Faceless man should star in reboot of Highlander series.
- The verbal sparring between Tyrion and Daenerys was fun to listen to. well written. intelligent.
- Creepy Kid Zombies – lady couldn’t hurt them.
- The waterfall of the whites, was interesting. what a delivery system.
- Cerci is down but not out. Still very powerful and dangerous.
- Reek comes clean about her brothers.
- Joel’s Picks:
- Coldplay secretly writing Game of Thrones musical
- via Andrea (Duggan)
- 12 min video. Totally worth watching.
- “Kiss my sandals.”
- For those of you that don’t know, I make pancakes at least once a week on weekends, and generally post a photo of my breakfast on Instagram inciting jealousy in my friends.
- Hammond’s Picks:
- House of Monsters – Stop Motion animation.
Mobile audio stream is provided by Alpha Geek Radio.
You can listen to The Citadel Cafelive on Alpha Geek Radio when each episode is being recorded, even when you are away from your home computer. Point your mobile browser to mobile.alphageekradio.com and tune in to Channel 1 at show time. You can also install the TuneIn.com app for additional mobile features. Simply search for “Alpha Geek Radio” within the app.
Music for The Citadel Cafe was composed by Kevin MacLeod. You can find more royalty free music at incompetech.com.
You can email the show or send us a voice mail (.mp3 format, 1 minute or less.) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support the show by supporting Joel on Patreon!
Tweaked Audio: Discount Code
The Citadel Cafe is proudly sponsored by TweakedAudio.com. For high performance, noise reducing earbuds visit TweakedAudio.com and use our code “tcc” at checkout for free shipping and 30% off your entire order!
Amazon Affiliate Link: Support The Citadel Cafe
You can support The Citadel Cafe with your regular Amazon shopping. Before you place your next Amazon order, click the appropriate affiliate link. A small commission from the purchase of the incredibly cool geeky stuff you were going to by anyway will go towards keeping the show going.
Thanks for listening!